Some important resources outlining some issues related to the Elk River Watershed.
Watershed Governance & Planning workshop presentation (October 3rd, 2012)
Elk River Watershed Dialogue Presentations (May 30th, 2012):
A powerpoint presenation delivered by Lee-Anne Walker, Executive Director of the Elk River Alliance. Lee-Anne explained the various roles and responsibilities of water desicion makers.
Water Quality Resources:
Selenium in the Elk River
- Introduction to Selenium
A Powerpoint presentation by Dr. Stella Swanson, an aquatic biologist. Stella shares interesting facts about selenium, how it gets into the Elk River, potential effects on aquatic organisms and what can be done about selenium levels in the Elk River.
- 'Alternative Futures: Collective Action to Management Selenium in the Elk and McLeod Waterhseds'
The Strategic Advisory Panel on Selenium Management has released its final report. This report represents the independent opinion of the Panel and is being released simultaneously to Teck Coal and stakeholders. Use this link to access Teck's website, you will find the final report at the bottom of the page.
- 'The Way Forward: A Strategic Plan for the Management of Selenium at Teck Coal Operations'
The Strategic Advisory Panel on Selenium Management released its plan for selenium management. Use this link to Teck's website to download a copy of the report at the bottom of the page. Get more information, and keep up-to-date with the latest selenium management strategies.
- Elk Valley Selenium Task Force Update and Overview
An independant review on the status of Selenium in the Elk River for the B.C Mine Reclamation Symposium, 2009
- Environment Canada's Water Information Page
Facts about Canada's water quality, water pollution, water management and water use
- Living Water Smart: Information sharing across the water community
Summary & detailed descriptions of online water information resources
- Floating the Elk River - Fun, But Safe?
Article by Lee-Anne Walker published in the Fernie Fix, August 2010 edition
General Water Quality
Lizard Creek Water Monitoring
- Sensitive Habitat Inventory Mapping (SHIM) online, interactive atlas
Lizard Creek SHIM centreline survey and features mapping data collected by ERA available here in an interactive format.
***In order to view Lizard Creek SHIM data, please click on the '+' box to the left of "Lizard Creek SHIM" to expand, and select all types of data you would like to view. To zoom in on the area, use the toolbox on the lefthand side of the window.
Friends Living on Water (F.L.O.W.) Conversations
- FLOW Conversation Summary
This document summarizes the discussions held in Fernie, Elkford and Sparwood surrounding the future health of the Elk River Watershed.
Detailed notes from FLOW conversations hosted in Fernie, Elkford and Sparwood can be accessed below. Community input at these conversations will be used to develop the upcoming FLOW Think Tank Series. Stay posted for more info!
- Elkford F.L.O.W. Conversation Notes
- Fernie F.L.O.W. Conversation Notes
- Sparwood F.L.O.W. Conversation Notes
H2oh! Awareness Presentations (from May 4th workshop)
- Cottonwoods along the Elk River
A presentation by Dr. Mary Louise Polzin
- Impacts of Climate Change on the Elk River
A presentation by Megan Walsh Lohman
- Selenium 101 and the Way Forward
A presentation by Dr. Harry Ohlendorf of the Strategic Advisory Panel
- Where has all the water gone?
A presentation by highschool student Katie Anderson about sourcing water in South Country
- Flowing to the Future: Climate Change and the Elk River, BC
A presentation by Dr. Stewart Rood , University of Lethbridge
Water Flow Resources:
- Impacts of Climate Change on Historical Precipitation, Temperature and Snowpack: Trends in Fernie, BC
Megan Walsh Lohmann's Masters Thesis, Royal Roads University 2010
- City of Fernie Waterworks
City of Fernie provides information on water supply and distribution, watershed management and water quality.
- Water Survey Canada
Information on Canada's water systems and resources by Environment Canada
- Elk River at Fernie Water Monitoring Data
Up to date information about the Elk River as it flows past Fernie, BC
- Elk River Below the Elko Dam Water Monitoring Data
Up to date information about the Elk River below the Elko Dam
- Tracing the Mighty "Stag" River
An article in the Free Press from local historian John Kinnear
Water Planning Resources:
- Fernie Liquid Waster Management Plan
City of Fernie current and future plans for waste management, 2009
- Elk River Water Use Plan
BC Hydro Environmental monitoring 2001-2006, published April 2009
- Community Based Water Monitoring: Bridging Citizens and Decision-Makers
Lee-Anne Walker's Masters Thesis, Royal Roads University 2009
Wildlife and Fish Health Resources:
- River and Riparian Dynamics and Black Cottonwoods in the Kootenay River Basin
Mary Louise Polzin's Master's Thesis, University of Lethbridge 1998
- Sportfish Population Dynamics in an Intensly Managed River System
Chad Wilkinson's Master's Thesis, University of Victoria 2002
- 2012 BC Endangered Rivers List
Background information of BC's top 10 endangered rivers by the Outdoor Recreation Council, 2012. Elk River has been moved higher on the list, again...