Although the Elk River Alliance (ERA) has been working on this initiative since the flood of 2013, we are excited to announce the beginning of the community outreach portion of the project. ERA outreach educators will be in the community this summer to collect your input and answer questions.
The Elk River Flood Solutions Strategy is a coordinated approach with the following goals:
- Improve community understanding of the Elk River’s hydrology.
- Document historic response to flooding.
- Examine flood mitigation practices that can enhance both natural watershed function and wildlife habitat.
- Model flood risk zones based on changing watershed conditions.
- Recommend long, medium and short-range solutions to flooding impacts in the Elk River.