Jon Poirier schools some youngins
Tired of just telling tall tales about your fishing? Join the first-ever Elk River fly-fishing skills event! Enter to compete in one of 3 categories: Youth (18 and under), Adult/Masters (19+) and Professional (fishing guides). Registration form below.
- Bragging rights as the ‘most skilled fisher’ on the Elk River.
- Professional fly fishing guide wins a plaque for placement in their business
- Prizes include one-of-a-kind shadow box artistic tied fly (value $250) and 7’ 4 WT bamboo, 2 tipped fly rod (handmade by John Poirier valued $850)
- Tired of just telling tall tales to family and friends – prove your skills to the community!
- Casting accuracy around obstacles
- Casting distance
- Dexterity and speed assembling a rod and tying on a fly (Youth Category)
- Match the hatch - benthic invertebrate identification with an imitation fly
- Fishing and fish quiz
- Optional – Best tall tale of fishing the Elk River.
- No spay or switch rods – single handed rods only
$20 for Youth and $40 for Adults/Masters & Professional. Enter and get a free ERA membership, coveted ERA stainless steel water bottle and Adults/Masters/Professional category get a stylin’ T-Shirt or Hat. Payment will be made at the event.
Ways to Enter:
- At the Fernie Community Centre on the day of the event between 4-4:45 pm.
- Fill out this form and drop it off at the ERA office at 891 2nd Ave. in Fernie or at one of the local fly fishing shops in Fernie.
- Fill out this form and email to [email protected]