Job Title: Elk River Watershed Outreach Educator
Employer: Elk River Watershed Alliance (doing business as Elk River Alliance ERA)
- Develop and deliver outreach and educational activities and events in the Elk River watershed to raise awareness of Elk River hydrology, flood history and chronology, community preparedness and response to flooding, and appropriate flood mitigation solutions in support of the Elk River Flood Solutions Strategy.
- Participate in the delivery of the Elk River Watershed Discovery Day camp.
- Other community watershed outreach and education activities.
As a non-profit society formed in 2010, ERA is a community-based water group that aims to connect people to the Elk River watershed ensuring our water is drinkable, fishable and swimmable for future generations. ERA’s vision is for a watershed where well-managed human activities result in healthy ecosystems and a robust economy. To realize this vision, ERA’s aim is to 1) raise community awareness and understanding about our watershed; 2) facilitate community dialogue and engagement to better inform sustainable water decision-making; 3) monitor aquatic health in order to prioritize our collective effort in activities that steward, enhance and restore aquatic ecosystems. For more information about ERA see www.elkriveralliance.ca
Location: Based out of ERA’s Fernie office 891 – 2nd Ave, Fernie, in the Southern Canadian Rockies SE BC. Job will involve traveling to various locations in the watershed.
Term/Rate of Employment: May 19-August 28, 2015 (15 weeks). Number of hours per week – 32 hours. Rate of pay $15-20/hour (commensurate on experience).
- Current first aid certification e.g. OFA Level 1
- Criminal record check or willingness to have one done
- Drivers license and access to a vehicle or ability to drive Car Share vehicle
- Familiarity with the Elk River watershed and communities
- Recommended field of study may include: Education, Environmental Science, Geography, Integrated Watershed Management, Communications, Drama, Heritage Interpretation.
- Public speaking, strong oral/written communication skills, working with children.
Please send your detailed resume and cover letter indicating why you would be suitable for this position by March 20, 2015 to: [email protected]
IMPORTANT NOTE: Funding for this program is contingent on ERA receiving the Canada Summer Jobs Grant, therefore students must be students attending a Post Secondary Institution and planning to return to Post Secondary in the Fall of 2015.